[SML] payment methods

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 13:20:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 4:04 AM, Jerry Durand via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I talked to Stripe and signed up for an account, and THEN found I can't
> actually use it without putting out a bunch of money.  Our site is PCI
> compliant for all the forms of payment we accept BUT, using Stripe means
> we're suddenly storing customer data on the web server.  BIG change in
> required security measures.
>
> Probably no big deal if you're renting server space from a big provider,
> but all of our web sites run off our little Linux box here.

That doesn't sound quite right. One of the big benefits to Stripe is that
you're PCI compliant pretty automatically. Using Stripe, customer data is
never stored on your personal web server. I don't think it even momentarily
passes through your server (though it's been a year or two since I last
played with it). All payment data is stored on Stripe's servers, and they
are very much PCI compliant.

It could be you have something odd going with your existing shopping cart,
OpenCart should fix that. Because using Stripe as intended, it literally
takes 10 minutes to setup a PCI-compliant web site.

--
Michael Sauder
Email: michael.sauder at gmail.com
Web: www.shownet.io