[SML] I was in the pool!

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 23:37:34 UTC 2015

Dear Ken,
Why not just install a bottom pipe, use turnbuckles or counterweights to
suck it to the floor while wetting it with flame proofing and sizing to
allow for it to stretch out and stay that way? Lengthening the trim chains
could supply some temporary relief. but you might have to adjust them
later. Losing 1/15 of the height appears peculiar. Could wrinkles account
for the apparent shrinkage? Something just doesn't add up here.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Bill Sapsis via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Ken.  The drop shrunk?  How does that happen.  The drop has been hanging
> for 7 years.  I’m assuming (yeah, I know) that it had a pipe or chain in
> the bottom.  Unless you’ve been washing it or the theatre has had a flood,
> I don’t see how the drop could have shrunk.  Stretched would be more like
> it.  Did it get painted at some point?
>
> You sure you’re not getting pranked today?
>
> Bill S.
>
> bill at sapsis-rigging.com
> http://www.sapsis-rigging.com
> +1.267.278.4561   mobile
> +1.215.228.0888   x206
>

> On Apr 1, 2015, at 5:38 PM, Ken Zinkl via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> I wasn't really in the pool but if the cyc could talk that is what it
> would say.
>
> 7 years ago when my facility opened someone on the design team though it
> would be a good idea to have the cyc on a dead hung pipe. That didn't sit
> well with me so I moved it downstage one foot so I could fly it in and out.
> For our next show we need the batten so I moved the cyc back upstage to its
> dead hung pipe. Well over the last 7 years it has shrunk about 8"
> vertically.
>
> Other than purchasing a new cyc ,or additional fly batten, building a
> ground row, or replacing all of the ties do I have any other options to get
> the cyc to the floor? I believe the cyc is 60'w X 20'h,  100% cotton
> unbleached muslin, with chain in the bottom.
>
> Thanks
> Ken Z

/s/ Richard
_________