[SML] Phone question

Bryan Manternach smashwolf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:00:23 UTC 2015

My phone is an android and it refers to it's whole storage system ad "the SD card" when it should be saying which SD card it intends to use because then it refers to an "external SD card" which is the one I bought and installed under the back cover.

So.....

When USB mounting an android phone, often what you see is the file system for the whole damn phone.

Look for the "mount point" of your external card.  It will usually be something like /mnt/sdcard or /mnt/external and your files may be over on that device.

On android phones they can give you a different representation of file system layout or "entry point" depending on whether USB debugging is turned on or various other USB modes are set so unfortunately it is not always straightforward, especially for a common non developer phone usr.

For a UINIX geek like me it's easy to forget some things are more technical than they need to be for 99.99% of the end users.  And that becomes the ultimate challenge of my job.  Making tech more user friendly.   Cases like this really pique my interest.