[SML] LED Blacklights

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 12:56:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, 4/8/15, Bruce Purdy via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Aside from the ability to dim LEDs, I can’t see the advantage
> to using them over Florescent BL tubes, given the price difference.

In addition to the ability to dim and strobe, the  LED fixtures are very rugged. For the LED strips, the small size may also be an advantage.

I know the LED ribbon-type strips often come with an adhesive on the back, so you can install it on a surface. But, I imagine that is a one-time operation.  Peeling it back up would probably destroy the strip. I imagine it would be possible to install them onto wood strips, perhaps in 8' lengths, and then put a connector with a splice in the middle of the 16ft strip.  If the wood strip is an angled one, then  you can use it on the apron and only have a cleaner look than if you used the fluorescent type. Has any one else tried other approaches to mounting them?  How would you mount them above the stage, perhaps on the proscenium?

Joe Dunfee
jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
305-999-1759