[SML] LED Blacklights

Robert Engel robert at engelenterprizes.com
Thu Apr 9 01:51:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 19:06:45 -0700, Joe D <jdunfee12 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do you know the wavelength of the unit?
> The difference between the two pictures seems quite subtle.  Why did you
> do the UV light at all? Did you sometimes use it without the blue strip
> lights?

I don't see the wavelength in the spec sheet for the light.  I believe it's
395-405nm.  It did have a vague violet visible color that was only really
seen if the rest of the stage was dark.  I considered using some of the 10w
LED flood light lamps in the UV 'color' from AliExpress.  I got one as a
sample via the slow boat from China, and thought it was too much "flood"
for my situation. I would also have had to home brew my own DMX control /
constant current driver, as dimming was a design requirement for all scenes
other than the instant on of the initial "reveal."  The Monoprice lights
were chosen mostly due to ease of use - I can order and get them in a
week.  Plug them in, address, and be done.  Overall, I recommend them for
use with the budget in mind.  i wasn't unhappy with 54w for full stage
coverage of a drop, and I couldn't see any flicker at all.

The concept for the use of UV in the show was as a transition into the
'city' with 'office lights' in buildings. The UV was not used in the show
without the strips to provide an outdoor / night look. The moon projected
on the black curtain was the 10w RGBW LED Pinspot from Monoprice.  (I had
to resist having a red moon... and my wife (the Producer / TD / set
designer) did not allow me to have a Sweeney Todd - "City on Fire" look
from the red roundels in the strips... not that it would have worked in the
story line, but... City on Fire, City on Fire...)

We didn't have a photo call, all of my pictures are "cellphone" quality and
don't do the effect justice for was it was in person.  It worked out quite
well, looking like office lights were left on in the buildings. The UV
reactive windows were painted with yellow UV / white normal Wildfire paint.

A picture during the construction phase with the UV (with blue) with some
house lights, stage works, and curtains open.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ttlw56bo6s2mau/2015-03-12%2020.01.17.jpg?dl=0

AliExpress UV Flood:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V-10W-Ultra-Voilet-UV-led-outdoor-floodlight-UV-395-405nm-LED-flood-light-for/1074714649.html

Robert Engel