[SML] Cheap LED Controllers

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 19:24:20 UTC 2015

Along with the LED strips I recently purchased off of E-bay, I tried a few controllers.

The one I used came with the RGBW strip (it has one set of LEDs that are RGB, and the intervening LEDs are white.), this Ebay item that was controlled with an IR remote;
40keys RGBW LED Remote Controller for 3528 5050 SMD RGBW (5-Pin) LED Strip Light
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40keys-RGBW-LED-Remote-Controller-for-3528-5050-SMD-RGBW-5-Pin-LED-Strip-Light-/400697561876

While easy to use, I was a little disappointed in the flashing feature.  The description was not incorrect, but for something this low of a price, it was easier to just order it and try it, rather than asking a seller that either would not know, or not have the technical knowledge to answer my questions. 1st issue whic would only be of concern to theater folks, is that the dimming process is far from smooth.  Also, the dimmest you can go is about 10%.

Another, issue which may matter to the DJ crowd, the controller cannot do true strobing, with its on-time about the same as its off-time.  So, it is more properly described as flashing.  Also, when it flashed, the colors changed.  So the RGB LEDs went R-G-B and those RGB LEDs cannot flash in white mode. The white LEDs would sometimes also flash when the RGB's were flashing, and sometimes they would stay steady on.   I have not been able to figure out what changes between the modes, and the seller did not either.

Another controller was this $6.39 USD, RF remote controller for the "UV" LED strip I purchased from a different vendor.
Wireless RF Remote Controller Dimmer Control For Single Color LED Strip 12-24V
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171654673396?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=470629639562&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
And while it had a reasonable strobe-like mode, the fastest frequency could only be set to about 4 flashes per second.  Its dimming was also not smooth at all, and limited to around 10%

Joe Dunfee
jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
305-999-1759