[SML] Motor controls in scenery

Mark O marko66 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 02:01:02 UTC 2015

> Thanks Mark. I do know what "should" be done. What I wanted to know is how frequently is it done or not done. As far as the PLASA hoist standard, I feel rather certain that it has not been applied to stage lifts, and it that was the intent why is there a separate lift standard being developed.
>
> Consider if I asked how many fire safety curtains were closed during non-production times, as the PLASA standard says to do but more importantly that law requires be done. Are you going to pretend that all are closed as required, because they should be?
>
> I'm trying, with no success obviously, to draw on the observations of the people here to determine what is the typical practice across the land.

Forgetting the standards for a moment, folks have no business doing automation without the most basic knowledge of the mechanics engineering or control.

The technology has advanced so far in the past few years that continuing education is imperative. AC motors and inverters will pull stumps until you tell them to stop.