[SML] Upgrading audio mixer

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Tue Apr 14 15:47:39 UTC 2015

After a long search and painfully downloading user manuals via dial-up modem
(shudder), I think I have narrowed my choices down to two.

The current choices are the PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2AI and the Allen &
Heath QU-24. They are essentially the same price.

The free PreSonus AVB option card is not interest, since you have to buy both
the StudioLive console AND the StudioLive RM Mixer.

As of now, I cannot make up my mind.

Are there any further comments on these two consoles - or other digital
consoles (beside the Soundcraft series) that may be of interest?

Keep in mind that this is intended for a community theatre, and is the
transition from analog to digital control. In most instances, the sound board
will be configured by the sound designer. The board operators job will be
pushing sliders and muting/unmuting groups. The board operator may well have
never seen a mixer before. Being able to lock out certain board functions,
once the configuration is completed, would be a plus.

Bill