[SML] Upgrading audio mixer

Dave Tosti-Lane davetostilane at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 16:50:45 UTC 2015

If I'm understanding the specs correctly, the lack of motorized faders
alone would kill the Presonus for me. Their fader locate routine is clever,
but doing it for 24 faders in a scene before being able to adjust a level
would make me crazy, as would recalling a scene and NOT having the faders
immediately move to the appropriate levels. Particularly if this is a
transition board from analog for the group - my opinion is that the scene
recall without fader relocate would likely be highly confusing.

I have not mixed on a Presonus  - but I have use a QU24 in a show, and
found it to be a solid and functional unit, easily set up and controlled by
QLab. The QU connects to the computer using USB - I see that the Presonus
has a USB port, but from the manual it appears to be for a wireless network
connection, not for audio - they use firewire for audio, which is certainly
functional, but possibly more prone to difficulty than a USB connection
these days.

I have no idea if this has been resolved - since I don't see it cropping up
so much any more, perhaps it has been - but at one time, the Presonus
boards would mute audio during scene recall - something that makes scene
recall useless for a musical - actually, it seems to me that the
non-motorized faders similarly make scene recall for a musical nearly
useless. Again - the mute thing is something I remember seeing mentioned
about a year ago, so perhaps that's been resolved, or perhaps it wouldn't
be a problem for your application.

Finally - am I missing something, or is there actually no way to connect a
remote stage-box via a digital/network connection on the Presonus? The QU
series gives you the option of remote digital stage-box - which you do not
need to purchase for starters, but if you are buying a digital board now, I
can't imagine getting one that did NOT allow for a networked remote stage
box of at least 16 in and 8 out.

One thing to remember though - even though the group isn't using the board
in a sophisticated way now, once the technology is available it's probably
going to wind up being used in the future. So, limitations that don't
matter now might later.

Dave Tosti-Lane