[SML] Upgrading audio mixer

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Tue Apr 14 17:45:03 UTC 2015

>                                         ... Particularly if this is a
> transition board from analog for the group - my opinion is that the scene
> recall without fader relocate would likely be highly confusing.

Good observation. For this group, KISS is highly desirable.

> I have not mixed on a Presonus  - but I have use a QU24 in a show, and
> found it to be a solid and functional unit, easily set up and controlled by
> QLab.

As long as it will work fine without QLab or an external computer.

> One thing to remember though - even though the group isn't using the board
> in a sophisticated way now, once the technology is available it's probably
> going to wind up being used in the future. So, limitations that don't
> matter now might later.

This is a small venue, about 150 seats. Tickets are between $9 - $14 and we
rarely have sold out houses. The only reason we can afford this board is that
we received a cash donation. Other than replacing ancient dimmers and lights,
I doubt if many other tech upgrades will be made - not even any "intelligent"
lights or LED's.

Bill