[SML] Upgrading audio mixer

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 17:01:20 UTC 2015

On 4/14/15 11:47 AM, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft wrote:
> After a long search and painfully downloading user manuals via dial-up modem
> (shudder), I think I have narrowed my choices down to two.
>
> The current choices are the PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2AI and the Allen &
> Heath QU-24. They are essentially the same price.

My complaint with the PreSonus boards is the lack of motorized faders.
If I'm mixing remotely and come back to the console, I don't want to
have to worry about manually updating the positions of any faders I
adjusted.

Additionally, I am a big fan of sends-on-faders, where you can select a
mix and the channel faders will reflect their settings in that mix.  I
find it much easier to adjust my submixes.

I looked at the A&H Qu line when I was shopping for consoles last
summer.  It was a contender against the Midas X-32 and Yamaha QL lines.
  The big drawback to me was the lack of expansion slots on the A&H.
What it has onboard is what you get.  You're locked into their dSnake
protocol, with no chance of Dante, Madi or any other digital outputs.

Of the two, I'd pick the A&H.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall