[SML] PTZ cam for both recording AND stage monitoring?

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 14 22:38:37 UTC 2015

You need to be clear in your mind exactly what you are trying to do. A
PTZ camera offers you more choices than you need for monitoring, and
not enough for recording. For the latter, you need at least two
cameras, a video mixer, and an operator.

The standard BBC news presentation uses five PTZ cameras, with remote
controls on the camera positioning as well. Personally, I think this
is overkill. I also wish that "camera operators" and directors
understood something about prespective. Close-ups with a wide-angle
lens produce some hideous distortions.

On 14 April 2015 at 20:18, Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> On 4/14/15 2:58 PM, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone used a PTZ system for both the occasional presentation
>> recording, but in its "off hours" using a PTZ (Pan/tilt/zoom) camera
>> for the back stage/green room/lobby, etc monitor feed?
>>
>> Pros? Cons?
>

> I have a PTZ system used primarily for recording.  I have recently added in
> a backstage monitor from it.  The main con has more to do with your
> single-camera proposal. What happens when the video recording needs a
> close-up but the SM wants a wide view backstage?  We ran into this when the
> video engineer put a slate up at the beginning of an event, and the SM lost
> her picture.
>
> You'll just need to be clear with all users as to which side of the system
> has priority - recording or monitor feed.
>
> That said, it's great to be able to reframe the shot easily for events that
> don't record.
>
> Steve L.
>
> --
> Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
> litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall
> 302/831-0601                University of Delaware

Frank Wood