[SML] PTZ cam for both recording AND stage monitoring?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Tue Apr 14 20:05:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Stephen Litterst
<litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a PTZ system used primarily for recording.  I have recently added in
> a backstage monitor from it.  The main con has more to do with your
> single-camera proposal. What happens when the video recording needs a
> close-up but the SM wants a wide view backstage?  We ran into this when the
> video engineer put a slate up at the beginning of an event, and the SM lost
> her picture.
>
> You'll just need to be clear with all users as to which side of the system
> has priority - recording or monitor feed.
>
> That said, it's great to be able to reframe the shot easily for events that
> don't record.

Excellent points.  If the camera is for monitoring a play/musical, it
is NOT being manned and used as a recording device, with closeups,
etc.  If, on the other hand, it's Dr. Jane Goodall, and the some PIO
walks in and says, "Can you tape this?" - we can say, "Yes. Sit down
and pan/tilt/zoom to your heart's content."  (Events like that never
have a stage manager coordinating anything. People just get up and
talk.)

It's still someone else's problem if they want someone to edit in the
PowerPoint slides that don't read well on screen.....

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com