[SML] PTZ cam for both recording AND stage monitoring?

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:18:17 UTC 2015

On 4/14/15 2:58 PM, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:
> Has anyone used a PTZ system for both the occasional presentation
> recording, but in its "off hours" using a PTZ (Pan/tilt/zoom) camera
> for the back stage/green room/lobby, etc monitor feed?
>
> Pros? Cons?

I have a PTZ system used primarily for recording.  I have recently added
in a backstage monitor from it.  The main con has more to do with your
single-camera proposal. What happens when the video recording needs a
close-up but the SM wants a wide view backstage?  We ran into this when
the video engineer put a slate up at the beginning of an event, and the
SM lost her picture.

You'll just need to be clear with all users as to which side of the
system has priority - recording or monitor feed.

That said, it's great to be able to reframe the shot easily for events
that don't record.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall