[SML] Upgrading audio mixer

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Wed Apr 15 20:33:18 UTC 2015

At the suggestion of someone here, I took a look at the Midas and Yamaha offers.

The Midas PRO-1 is amazing, but appears to be somewhat complex to program. It
also sell for about $5000 more than our budget. The M32R appears to be only 16
channel.

The Yamaha QL1 is the cleanest looking and has the nicest channel metering.
But it only has 16 channels without buying a $2000 interface card to get an
additional 8 channels. The base QL1 is also way above our budget. With the
interface card, it would cost about $10,000 to get 24 channels. It has no 1/4"
input jacks, only XLR and no AUX returns.

Because of cost, they are out of the running.

Because of the negative comments about the ProSonus, primarily the lack of
motorized faders, it appears that the Allen & Heath QU 24 is my top runner.

Any other suggestions about digital boards I can check? Budget is $3000 or
less and it must have at least 24 mike/line channels. At least 6 sends of some
sort are also needed.

Bill