[SML] More on UV light from LEDs

Bruce bruce at ledworklights.com
Thu Apr 16 02:18:41 UTC 2015

On Monday, April 13, 2015 9:19:11 PM CDT, Joe D via Stagecraft wrote:
> I just received a UV flashlight that is specifically rated at
> 395 nm, which I had hoped would be invisible to my eye.  But, it
> is not at all.  It is better (darker) than the LED strip I
> purchased,  (the source eventually answered that it should have
> a 380 to 420nm range... .which is a VERY large range.

LEDs have a PEAK emission, but it is just that - peak.  LEDs near the blue
end of the spectrum typically have an emission range of 40-65nm - which
means that your 395nm peak emission could be emitting all the way out to
455 nm, but more likely out to 430 nm [peaks tend to be centered]

  Without filters, its very difficult to get narrow-band emission from LEDS

:Bruce Cooper