[SML] Upgrading audio mixer

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 16:24:00 UTC 2015

On 4/15/15 4:33 PM, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft wrote:
> At the suggestion of someone here, I took a look at the Midas and Yamaha offers.
>
> The Midas PRO-1 is amazing, but appears to be somewhat complex to program. It
> also sell for about $5000 more than our budget. The M32R appears to be only 16
> channel.
>
> The Yamaha QL1 is the cleanest looking and has the nicest channel metering.
> But it only has 16 channels without buying a $2000 interface card to get an
> additional 8 channels. The base QL1 is also way above our budget. With the
> interface card, it would cost about $10,000 to get 24 channels. It has no 1/4"
> input jacks, only XLR and no AUX returns.

Technically, you can use any input as an aux return.  Which reduces your
number of inputs, of course.

> Any other suggestions about digital boards I can check? Budget is $3000 or
> less and it must have at least 24 mike/line channels. At least 6 sends of some
> sort are also needed.

Midas M32?  List price is $5k, so you might be able to get a vendor to
work the price down to your level.  Depends on their costs, of course.
It was a close runner up when I bought my Yamaha, and I would have gone
with it if my budget had been tighter.  My only reservations about it were
1) the screen is tiny.
2) when it was released, Midas didn't know how to market it between the
x32 and the Pro line, which made it seem like it was doomed to a short
life.  They seem to have figured it out, though.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall