[SML] scanners

John McAfee jrpmcafee at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 14:46:56 UTC 2015

I have an old Fujitsu S300M (11.18”x3.74”x3.03”) that has served me well for 7 years.  It’s a little machine but it has duplexing and I think it came with some OCR technology, you could also set up Automator workflows and folder actions pretty easily.  I liked it so much, I also got one of the Evernote scanners that is essentially a Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500.  They are quality machines with good resolution (300dpi color, 600dpi monochrome) and they are quick.  The hardest part of the effort, like Bill says, is the naming and organizing on the computer (the reason I was willing to pay more for the Evernote version).

The iX500 is good about recognizing receipts, business cards, whatever I give it and doesn’t throw errors for paper size issues (much).

The biggest problem is that it has an auto-feed chute for 50 sheets at a time.  I don’t usually hit that, but if I’m scanning a script or the shop hours logs at the end of the semester, I need to break them into batches and either baby-sit so that it’s all in one file, or combine PDF’s at the end.  Small inconvenience.

The other thing is that folds, shop dirt, or a sharpie soaking through onto a back side of a page will make it think there is a reason to scan and save the blank back page.  This is only a minor annoyance since I take some time to delete the extra pages when/if I actually need to reference the files.  (Probably less of an issue with an accountant’s scans)

Follow up question on the subject of scanning:  Does anyone here scan old hand-drafting (18x24 & 24x36 primarily) for archive, and if so, where/how?  The people at Kinko’s seemed to think I was crazy.

-John