[SML] PTZ cam for both recording AND stage monitoring?

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 17 19:03:21 UTC 2015

On 17 April 2015 at 07:13, Jon Ares via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Please don't try to talk me into, or out of PTZ cameras.... with 20+
> years of broadcast television and film work behind me, I have nothing
> but distaste for the PTZ-operated TV operation.

I agree with you, having spent 28 years with the BBC. For your
application, PTZ cameras are not needed. In professional broadcast TV,
they save in staff costs, which always attracts the attention of the
'bean counters'. A trained and skilled cameraman will do a better job.

  in this instance, we
> need new backstage monitoring options, and, on occasion, we are asked
> if we could just "record" our monitor feed.  (We have never done that
> for anyone.) With a PTZ, sans operator (which it will be, I assure
> you) - the deal is that we could zoom in a bit, and "lock down" the
> camera and record their presentation, with the full understanding that
> we are not assigning an operator, much less a director or editor, to
> the feed.They get what they get.  :)
>
> If one wanted a fully-produced program(me), I'm not going to provide
> it, as I too will want at least two cameras, a switcher, with or
> without a switcher, and someone to do my job, as I will be directing a
> TV shoot at that point. :)  (And a larger check at that point, as
> well.)
>
>  - Jon

Frank Wood