[SML] Question about Safe Working Loads

Bill Sapsis bill at sapsis-rigging.com
Wed Apr 22 21:32:48 UTC 2015

Ford.  I did not see your post but caught up with it in Steven’s response.

Working Load Limits (WLL)* in the US are determined by the manufacturer and are sometimes set by Standard, sometime not.  The typical WLL used by hardware manufacturers is 5:1 although the shackle folks, particularly those who sell to the entertainment industry, use 6:1, 7:1 and in some cases, 8:1.

Performer flying companies tend to hover (sorry) around 10:1 but not all the time.

Soooooo, the answer really is…it depends.  And what it depends on more often than not is your level of comfort.

Personally, I liked the old tried and true 7:1 simply because theatre folks deal in 1/4” Ø GAC and the breaking strength of 1/4” Ø GAC is always right around 7,000 pounds.  So using 7:1 means the math is real easy.  You’ll be hard pressed to find someone who tells you the WLL of 1/4” Ø GAC is something other than 1,000 pounds.

*most industries have moved away from SWL and are using WLL

zat help?

Bill S

bill at sapsis-rigging.com
http://www.sapsis-rigging.com