[SML] Professional sound effects library available for edu situation?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Thu Apr 23 18:31:53 UTC 2015

Hi folks....  is there a quality* sound effects library out there that
students can use that we can license for a lab?  Back story: we have
the Janus Professional Library, circa 1995, from a company that no
longer exists.  Their software library came with a great
browser/sampler utility, but it's 16-bit code, and doesn't work on
anything newer than Windows XP.  (I've tried the various compatibility
modes in Win7 - short of installing a Virtual Machine.)

I've asked around, to see if someone wanted to write a new front end
that could query the database, to access the raw audio files, but no
takers (unless it was big $$$, which we don't have.)  I think the
original system was written around Macromedia Author or Director, or
some such.

*Quality: not garbage downloaded from YouTube, or some of the many
"free" sounds on the web that are actually 11k versions of the sound
effects vinyls I used as a kid...

We need this in a lab environment, for class use, so buying single
pieces online isn't an option....

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com