[SML] hot wire foam carving transformer

Lyric Opera Kansas City lyricoperakansascity at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:21:16 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone,

My charge artist is asking for a Variac Transformer for foam carving.
I know there are a couple of places here in town that use them for
foam carving, but I am having trouble finding the model she is looking
for.  It is Variac transformer Model No: SC-20M (MAX:2000VA,
INPUT:117VAC 60Hz, OUTPUT:0-130VAC 60Hz).  I have found these on
Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Variac-Variable-Transformer-2000va-Output/dp/B00O6825IM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1430143228&sr=8-5&keywords=variac+transformer

http://www.amazon.com/Variac-Variable-Transformer-1000va-Output/dp/B006NGCW5G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1430143228&sr=8-12&keywords=variac+transformer

Anyone have any words of wisdom?  I know you have to be able to adjust
things depending on the size and length of wire you are using to cut,
but I am not sure what the best decision to make it or if someone has
a better idea.

Thanks,

Nate