[SML] Super Titles?

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 5 21:10:35 UTC 2015

Thank you all for the great responses!

> The basic version we typically see involves a projector, and a long, thin screen.  :)

	Good - It sounds like my concept was sound.

> The one that floats around here is two hollywood-style hard flats with luaun facing, 2'x12' that bolt together end-to-end.  Gets a fresh coat of paint every show - eggshell finish, slightly off white, I believe.
>
> I have suggested to the screen owners (who loan the screen around to other local producing organizations) that they might invest in a custom made fast-fold-ish front projection screen that could transport in a car trunk instead of a truck, but to date, they have not taken that path.

	Whilst transport wouldn’t be an issue, I do own a couple of fast-fold screens. I was thinking about hanging my 9’x12’ version so the bottom edge hangs below the proscenium, in front of the Grand valance. In retrospect, however, 12’ is probably not long enough - and I like all the suggestions to use a darker grey rather than white.

> Projector and lens get sized to fit the throw.

	The theatre has a huge digital cinema projector which they use to show movies on a ~50’ wide screen. I was contemplating - if it has enough flexibility - shifting the lens upwards and zooming in. A lot of questions to be resolved regarding capabilities and permission.

> Typically we see a laptop and powerpoint file for the media input - I would bet you could procure such a data file from some opera producing group so you wouldn't have to build the title file from scratch.

	PowerPoint sounds like a good answer, but someone else would have to deal with creating it and operating it … I want nothing to do with it! :-) As to the content, though, it would have to be locally custom produced. The annual opera is always an Opera Buffa (Cosi Fan Tutte this year, Barber of Seville last year, etc.) always performed in English. The translations are always done by the producer - and I’ve noticed that the singers often deviate from the written “script” that she produced.

	It’s in English, so why Super Titles?? I’d guess that despite the talented professionals brought in, some audience members don’t always understand the words being sung.

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.