[SML] Super Titles?

Alf Sauve' alf at sauve.org
Wed Aug 5 22:23:31 UTC 2015

Wow.  I'm not an opera fan.  I've never been to an actual opera.  Oh,
I've seen a song performed here and there.  And a demonstration or two,
but never been to an actual opera.  I did not know they did supers for
the words.   I would also think the purists aren't thrilled, but then
what do I know?  Obviously not much.  I'd think, depending on where the
screen is, the background could be integrated with the set and lighting
to add to the show.

Being responsible for projection of words in 6 venues each Sunday I can
offer some advice on the software.

PowerPoint and Keynote are great utilities, if used properly, for
creating slides.  I've created a PowerPoint that emulate Family Feud and
Wheel of Fortune game shows.  BUT, both programs suck big time when it
comes to the production. Both programs take total control of the
computer and don't allow, nor tolerate, anything else happening.

Pro Presenter and Media Shout are much better programs for actual run
time.  They allow for other things to happen while running the
presentation.  They tolerate other things happening (such as system
messages and warnings).  They allow for seemless transition between
playlists/shows.  And they allow live editing while still running the
presentation.  You can even, while running words, Google something,
download a graphic;  create a new slide; insert the graphic; match the
background; save the edit and not miss a single word of the song.

While in the case of opera, you've got prepared and rehearsed shows from
beginning to end, so you probably never have to make changes during a
show, however ProPresenter and Media Shout are so much more resilient
and reliable I can't imagine not exporting PowerPoint/Keynote
presentations to JPEG and then just running the JPEGs from Pro Presenter.

Yes it comes at a cost, but there's No Free Lunch.