[SML] Wire Less Speaker

James D Smith, RC4 Wireless jds at theatrewireless.com
Mon Aug 17 20:26:45 UTC 2015

Many years ago I did a very similar thing -- the music box monkey for
the Phantom of the Opera (Canadian Tour).  The music was played live on
a keyboard in the orchestra pit, and the sound came out of the prop.

I used a wireless microphone, modified to accept line-level input.
Inside the monkey were the microphone receiver (a bit large but it fit),
and a small audio amplifier.  I also had a little custom-made device
that turned on the motor to move the monkey arms when the audio signal
was present.  All of this operated on battery power (low voltage DC).
(I'm not sure, but I think this may have been the only Phantom
production that did not have pre-recorded music coming out of the
monkey.)

The audio folks provided the wireless mic gear, ensuring it was pro
quality and would not interfere with any of the other wireless mics.

James David Smith
RC4 Wireless / Soundsculpture Incorporated
Office 919-229-9953 | Skype rc4jds