[SML] Backer rod with a wire in it?

Paul G. pguncheon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 00:02:59 UTC 2015

I have made barbed wire using a length of house electrical wire or black tie knotted with appropriate lengths of the rubber spline used to make aluminum window screens. Extremely fast to make and looks real.

Never made razor wire... however, if the stuff is out of reach, I would certainly consider using the real stuff. Again I say, only if it is out of anyone's reach.

"Nothing looks real like real." (Me...I don't know... about 1987)

If I had to make it, I would cut a bunch of the "razors" out of thin flexible plastic ( something I could stack and gang cut on a bandsaw), then I would attach two strands of electrical to a drill (jin order to twist them), and insert the razors as the twisting progressed. While the finished product wouldn't stand up to really close inspection (real razor wire is not twisted: http://www.aravalifence.com/razor_wire.htm ) I would think that it would past muster unless your audience is made up of ex-cons, which, if they are theatre people, may very well be the case.

Laters,

Paul 1