[SML] Scissors lifts onstage

My Gmail mptecdir at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 02:03:23 UTC 2015

 Richard John Archer wrote:

<<We might  have the opportunity to get a Genie  GS-2632  scissor lift at a reduced (but still expensive) cost.   >>
If the purchase doesn't take funds from another needed budget, you should buy it.  Not because you need it for productions or that it will be that useful. Buy it because it will be a valuable training tool for your program.  Unlike when I first entered this profession and lifts were rare and a luxury, they are now the norm and absolutely essential for a lot of arena type spaces.   When I first rigged, 14' & 16' A frames on wheels was the norm.  We pulled our selves along while straddling the top rung.  Then we got Geni lifts and pulled ourselves along without outriggers (early Geni's didn't have outriggers) or ground crew, not thinking about the fact we had increased our height and reduced our base.

Today many states/city's require a permit/License to operate some types of lifts.  If your state is one, you can incorporate gaining a permit/license as part of your program.

Think about the first time you maneuvered a lift at height with scenery or house lights in the way.   Did the sway of the lift bother you at 35' or 45'??  Did your first U turn at height make your throat clinch?  Teach them at floor level then at height.  Or, if you're like me, did you risk making your partner "airsick" height seemed normal?   Get the lift and use it as a training tool.  Teach the timid it's safe, teach the fearless the need for caution and how to be safe.

Today lifts of all kinds are another tool of the trade. Teach your students how use them and to use them safely and responsibly.

Michael Powers
ETCP Certified Rigger #820 (Re'td)
515-557-0178 cell