[SML] Guide for New Renters

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 20:22:14 UTC 2015

On 12/9/15 2:54 PM, Jon Ares via Stagecraft wrote:

> One big piece of advice is ONE person needs to be the point-person or
> conduit for all requests/changes for the tech side of things.... too
> many cooks yelling in the ear of the sound engineer.....

I like this and have enforced something similar with a student group on
campus.  "If your name is not 'x,' please leave the tech booth.  If you
want technical changes made, please tell 'x' and she will pass the
changes along to us."

One thing I find myself explaining over and over again to groups is that
their event schedule is not just "Lecture starts at 3 and will go to
4-ish."  When will you arrive to set up?  When will your speaker arrive
to go over their slides?  etc, etc...

Another recurring theme is how many microphones will be in use
simultaneously.  I have groups that come in asking for 10 mics, even
though it's five acts that each use two handhelds.

No outside lighting/sound equipment.  Period.  If I don't have it, I'll
find it for you, but you can't bring in your Uncle Larry's roommate's
homemade lights/speakers/what-have-you.

Tell them, "If you're not sure, ask."  So many first-timers don't know
what they don't know, but they're ashamed to ask for assistance.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall