[SML] Anyone have experience of doing a play in black and white?

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Thu Dec 10 09:03:56 UTC 2015

> Your costumes can be greyscale... the makeup will need to follow suit. the
> lighting will need to be plain, with the emphasis on eliminating color.
> Blue color correction in the 1/4 to 1/2 range will likely work best.

The biggest problem is the makeup. Will there be time for complete makeup AND
changes between scenes?

>From the limited experience I have had, the B&W effect is not convincing or
worth the effort. More recently, I have convinced the directors that pushing
the lighting towards brown/sepia was the best solution. It doesn't matter of
all the colors are muddy. Of course, visual depth becomes poor as well.

Bill