[SML] Yet another Door Opens

Mike Katz narishkup at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:17:29 UTC 2015

Good Morning All,
About 4 years ago I told the list about my separation from a long term
employer who removed me and all of the technical staff with experience, for
academic political  reasons. I was incredibly lucky to be invited to join
the Performing arts department here at UMass Boston as the TD.  I have had
a blast here and I am so grateful that I have been able to work in an
affirming positive growing program for the last 4 years.
Some of you might have noticed that the TD Position here at Umass Boston is
being advertised for a spring search and a Fall start date. This is great
news especially for me personally!  My incredible wife and I looked at our
resources and decided that we will retire at the end of this academic year
and pursue many of the interests and dreams we have had for years but could
not do while working full time.
So the TD position is open and I truly hope that we will find a great
candidate to take over from me and to continue to forge new paths here at
UMass Boston.  We are in the process of moving into a new flexible space
theater with a tension wire grid, a seating/performance pit that will allow
raked seating or flat or sunken stage or....  A brand new scene and costume
shop, some dance and acting rehearsal space and much more. The Building and
campus is on a peninsula that juts into Boston Harbor thaT we share with
the Massachusetts State Archives Museum, the Edward Kennedy Institute for
the US Senate, and the JFK Presidential Library.
My colleagues here in Tech and Design are incredible. Anthony Phelps is the
Scenic and Lighting designer. Many of you know him from USITT where he has
been a Commissioner or Vice Commissioner in the Scenic  and Lighting
Commissions, For many years he published the Painters Journal,he runs the
paint project on the show floor and is also the USITTNE Chair. Our Costume
Designer is Rafael Jaen, also well know in our world as the Chair of DTM
for KCACTF and a long time member of the Costume Commission as well as a
member Director at Large in USITT and the author of Showcase.
I plan on staying in touch long into the future, I am continuing as a
Director at Large in USITT and hope that I will be elected again in the
next election cycle, I will remain on the USITTNE board, and I plan on
attending the conferences and seeing you my old and new friends in person.
I have loved my work and our field for close to 40 years, I might not be a
religious man, but I know when I have been blessed.

Here is a URL to the Job Description-
https://umb.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=66715

Michael Katz
narishkup at gmail.com