[SML] Update on remotely actuated floor locks

Joe Dunfee joe at dunfee.com
Tue Feb 10 17:19:53 UTC 2015

Here is an update in my search for an air-cylinder that can handle a large
side load.  I found the Bimba EF2 Cylinders , with the “Rear Guide Shaft
Extension” option, can handle a pretty large side load, and the price is
reasonable. E.g. a 2” bore, 1/2” Stroke can handle a side load of 51 lbs.
(note that the sizes are only available in metric, so the sizes are only
approx. in English units)  The price for that one would be $156 USD.

There are other models that handle much larger side loads, buy you are in to
a category of cylinders that start at over $1,000 each.

-Joe Dunfee