[SML] Mac-based Lighting Control software: thoughts?

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Feb 11 15:19:56 UTC 2015

<awesome insight, banter and hints snipped>

Thanks, Bruce, Smashwolf, Ford, and Herrick.... great stuff to
compare.  Bruce, I appreciate the pointer to MiniStageConsole (even
though it boasts that it can be used with something by that
fly-by-night Durand Interstellar company) ;)  - and the LX Console
(forgotten about that one - thanks!).  Bryan - thanks for the insight
on MagiQ - I was definitely going to check that one out, as well.  Not
intending this for use with moving heads (at this time) - but worth
trying out, for sure. I agree with Herrick - "MagiQ" and names like
that annoy me, for the same reasons.  :)  "Don't you worry your pretty
little head - all the magic happens inside the box. No need to know
how it works, just know that it does.  Or might.  Or maybe not.  (And
if it doesn't, it'll reboot fast!)"

MagiQ's time-limited operation doesn't bother me in theory at this
point - it says it runs for 5 hours, then it needs to be
unplugged/restarted, or some  such.  That's fine - probably be used 1
or 2 hours max at any time....  and one universe is fine, for this
initial curriculum.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 6:25 AM, Bryan Manternach via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Actually, several vendors have adopted the free software model to some
> degree.  It is either limited by runtime, or the number of DMX channels
> suported without a license key.  If you dig deep enough in some web sites,
> you'll find these sorts of demo deals.  Last time I checked,
>
> - Jands Vista Byron V2 was offered as a free demo that would run on a
> laptop, but without a license it blacks out periodically
> - MA does this model now,
> http://www.malighting.com/en/products/control/control/ma-lighting/grandma2-onpc/gma2onpc-grandma2-onpc.html
> - High End Systems offers Hog4PC for free download
> - ChamSys Of course, but it is not really crippled if you have a real USB
> DMX interface.  It only needs licenses to go beyond 1 universe.
> - Avolites offers a "Pearl 2004 console simulator" though I have not tried
> it yet.
>
> And there are more I am sure...
>
> -s
>

> On 2/11/15 5:50 AM, Herrick Goldman via Stagecraft wrote:
>
> Yeah if only it didn't use magic to make the Q work....  I've touched that
> console before..   When it came out there were mis-spellings in the
> interface and the park function would park pan and tilt but not intensity.
> Suffice to say I won't be using it for anything mission critical in the
> future.   Also never name any professional device "magic-anything".  It
> implies that there's a mystery in its functionality that we can't be
> expected to comprehend.  Would you expect uncle bill to use "magicmotr" to
> fly something over your head?
>
> Free is good TANSTAAFL tho..
>
> I think Ma on pc software is free if you have a Dmx dongle.
>

> Sent from my H-pad
>
> Herrick Goldman
> 917-797-3624
> www.HGlightingdesign.com