[SML] Genie lift safety

Chip Haas chip.haas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:02:16 UTC 2015

Randy,

20+ years ago it seemed to be the norm to move around mast lifts extended.
Too many accidents have happened since then, too many fellow technicians
have been hurt or died. Times have changed and as an industry we need to
stop with the belief that laws, policies, rules, gravity, etc do not apply
to us. Follow what the manufacturer states in the manual. If your lift goes
over and you were using it in a way not endorsed by the manufacturer, then
you've opened up a huge can of liability on yourself and your
facility/organization.

We do not move our mast lifts elevated here. It adds very little extra time
to the process and now that it's the norm, no one complains. The first
couple years I was here at UNCG, it was a battle and I was constantly
having to stop the behavior. We were fortunate to get funds for a scissor
lift a few years ago and that has helped, but in our smaller theatre where
it is still only a mast lift it's tempting to do it. We need to set the
standards and stop dangerous behavior just "to get the show done". It's
something I'm teaching my students and making them aware that they cannot
be forced to do anything that puts their life and welfare at risk. Does it
mean you may be removed from a job, possibly. But they have to make a
decision for themselves about what is worth more. It does get easier as you
get older/more experienced.

In just the past few weeks there have been two lift falls of which I'm
aware. One of which cost the life of a good guy. That one really hit home
because there is a face I know on the incident. Follow the guidelines
provided by the manufacturer. Period.

--
Chip
--------

Production Manager / Technical Director
Department of Theatre
School of Music, Theatre, and Dance
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro

336-334-3891