[SML] Genie lift safety

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 19:26:27 UTC 2015

On 2/20/15 1:07 AM, Randy Storms via Stagecraft wrote:
> I've worked in a lot of places where moving a genie lift with the mast
> extended (operator in the bucket, outriggers extended but loose) was
> routine.  The Operator's Manual, of course, says that's a no-no.  We are
> reviewing our Accident Prevention Plan and the topic came up.  The TD
> wants to get a feel for what the "Industry Standard" is before making
> any changes to our policy.

Have I done it?  Yes.

Do I do it, anymore?  No.

When I was first introduced to a genie lift in my undergrad years, my TD
made the statement that no lift has tipped over while being used by the
manufacturer's directions.  As a campus lift trainer (laminated
"license" and all) I include that statement in my trainings.

I have been witness to one tip-over accident (the operator survived
without injury) I couldn't sleep well for months after that.  I've
recently learned a former student was out of work for over a year
recovering from a tip-over.

Don't do it.  So many on this list learned the lesson without injury, so
learn the lesson with us.  Use the outriggers.  Come down to move the unit.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall