[SML] Tech Tables, Orchestra Lights and such

Kim Hartshorn hartshwk at plattsburgh.edu
Sun Feb 22 20:17:21 UTC 2015

I believe that the primary issue the inspectors have is that there is no
guarantee that at 20A extension cord will be plugged into the multi-strip,
orchestra light string, tech table.  Our local fire marshal required us to
stop using brown extension cords for orchestra lights.  He was alright with
a shop-built solution of a long single 12g cable with multiple four boxes
hard wired into the string.  I believe that an acceptable solution for a
tech table would be to use a commercial rack mount power strip or build the
outlets into the table.  The key is that power should be through a standard
20amp POWER cord with parallel blade ground, not through a 15amp Edison
connector.  It is the Edison connector that allows under-rated power feed
that is not protected by the 20amp service breaker.