[SML] Upgrading dimmer racks

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 24 19:07:43 UTC 2015

On 24 February 2015 at 18:23, Riter, Andrew via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Consider installing a few higher capacity circuits for the cyc area.  That's the one thing I miss in one of my venues.

This is wise advice. Incandescent cyc lighting is very power-hungry,
Back in1964, when our theatre was built, we installed 5KW dimmers for
the cyc top and bottom. This got us in bother when we re-wired quite
recently. We were installing patch panels, using the UK standard of
15A connectors for all the luminaires. Neither I nor the contractor
thought that making a 20A supply available to a 15A socket was
desirable, and we had to install splitting breakers. While diversity
had kept us out of trouble over the years, not all LDs do load
calculations.

As an engineer, I am confident that 1/4" load pins and a 3/8" earth
pin would handle a 20A circuit with no problem. But ratings are
ratings.

--
Frank Wood