[SML] Upgrading dimmer racks

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 21:57:29 UTC 2015

 Bill Nelson wrote:

> Decent LED fixtures are very expensive.
>
> Another option would be to buy new controller boards for the two existing
> packs and purchase a small additional analog rack.

	You did say you wanted to upgrade to DMX - but didn’t mention whether you already have a DMX board yet. Whilst upgrading to new DMX dimmers is certainly preferable, if you did opt for the "new controller boards for existing analogue" route, consider an A/D adapter. This would get you another step closer into the modern age anyway. It would allow a DMX board, as well as interfacing with possible rental or future acquisitions of additional dimmers, LEDs, Moving lights &c.

	That was my first step at modernising my old venue. I added a Flenor A/D adapter and an Express 48/96 to control the existing 18 analogue dimmers. Later, when I got a used Colortran ENS 96-dimmer rack, I re-purposed the Analogue dimmers and the A/D adapter to replace the Rheostat board controlling the house lights.

	Sometimes incremental improvements help move you in the right direction, when budgets are limited.

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.