[SML] Cheap dimming of a large load

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:25:42 UTC 2015

We've been brain storming this morning, trying to think outside the box,
given the costs... Because we don't need real dimming, per se, just
attempting to modulate the maximum level and reduce the 36KW startup surge,
we're looking at trying to use triac relays. We'd cycle them all on over a
period of a second or two (to reduce the surge), then cycle off/on as
needed to keep the heat level at the needed level. It's hacky, but we
*think* it'll work, and could cost under $1k for relays, enclosures,
breakers, etc. If anyone is interested I'll let you know how it turns out.

--
Michael Sauder
Email: michael.sauder at gmail.com
Web: www.shownet.io