[SML] designer responsibility, was Newspaper Scenic Treatment

Chad Croteau cpcroteau at bell.net
Sun Jan 4 22:13:22 UTC 2015

I'm gonna throw a "me too" on this one.  While I agree that in the traditional sense of "designer" it's not usually up to the design team to purchase construction supplies, it's not necessarily forbidden either.

As a lighting designer, I have on many occasions helped out an lx crew with things like set electrics, cutting and framing gel, etc.  In each case my assistance was requested and desired. Was it part of my contract?  Of course not, but I assisted when asked if my schedule allowed.  Each time it resulted in a better show for the audience.  Frankly, unless forbidden by contracts or collective agreements, what's the harm if you're not stepping on toes?  I've also seen a few design postings that were for "design/build" or "design/hang" contracts with very small theatre companies...heck, design/paint contracts are common in my neck of the woods... And design/TD are how many small summer stocks in the area manage to survive.  If you go in knowing that's what you're signing on for, what's the problem?

Anyway, all this to say that it seems a bit counterproductive in my mind to say that a designer can't or shouldn't be able to lend a hand or be involved in construction.  After all, it IS their design being realized.

And I'd get bored if I was never allowed to play with the toys, but that's a different beast... :)

Just my thoughts.

Chad

Sent from my iPhone