[SML] designer responsibility, was Newspaper Scenic Treatment

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Mon Jan 5 01:07:38 UTC 2015

I suspect that if it was built by an architect/plumber, that the
bathrooms, sinks and drains will be fantastic, easy to repair, and not
need much repair to begin with.

/* cue rant */
How many times have we come to a theater and found a set of sixteen foot
tall doors that open into a hallway that is only eight feet tall?  Or
have a balcony that has no electric outlets for the cleaning staff to
plug in their vacuum cleaners?  Or a loading dock that has only three
slots, two of which are permanently occupied by dumpsters, and you have
to make a 16 point turn to get the truck into the remaining slot?    Or
any other of an infinitude of bad building design examples?

   I have long advocated that anyone who is going to architecture school
must spend a year in a work study program.  They should spend time as a
cleaner, a delivery truck driver, plumber, electrician, maintenance
worker, waiter, cook, busboy, security guard, snowplow driver, and
parking valet.   I would hope that they would make the buildings they
design a lot better for the experience.
/* end rant */

   --Dale