[SML] designer responsibility, was Newspaper Scenic Treatment

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 02:09:19 UTC 2015

Dear Dale,
Then, again, you have the Grady Gammage Theatre in PHX, designed by
Frank Lloyd Wright, who forgot is own idiom: 'Form Follows Function',
when it comes to truck maneuvering along a nonstandard curved
driveway.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Dale Farmer via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> I suspect that if it was built by an architect/plumber, that the bathrooms,
> sinks and drains will be fantastic, easy to repair, and not need much repair
> to begin with.
>
> /* cue rant */
> How many times have we come to a theater and found a set of sixteen foot
> tall doors that open into a hallway that is only eight feet tall?  Or have a
> balcony that has no electric outlets for the cleaning staff to plug in their
> vacuum cleaners?  Or a loading dock that has only three slots, two of which
> are permanently occupied by dumpsters, and you have to make a 16 point turn
> to get the truck into the remaining slot?    Or any other of an infinitude
> of bad building design examples?
>
>   I have long advocated that anyone who is going to architecture school must
> spend a year in a work study program.  They should spend time as a cleaner,
> a delivery truck driver, plumber, electrician, maintenance worker, waiter,
> cook, busboy, security guard, snowplow driver, and parking valet.   I would
> hope that they would make the buildings they design a lot better for the
> experience.
> /* end rant */
>
>   --Dale
>

> On 1/4/2015 5:34 PM, Jeffrey E. Salzberg via Stagecraft wrote:
>
> I always want to reply, asking if the theatre was built by an
> "architect/plumber".
> On 1/4/2015 5:13 PM, Chad Croteau via Stagecraft wrote:
>
> I've also seen a few design postings that were for "design/build" or
> "design/hang"

/s/ Richard
_________