[SML] OT: Cultural Arts programming at your educational institution

Maia Robbins-Zust mrzust at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 01:27:53 UTC 2015

John

Out here in the Northeast, there's a touring company called Chamber
Theater.  They bring classic American short stories to high schools.  I did
one season touring with them and learned that the venue matters almost more
then the quality of the production.

If we were playing in the high school auditorium, there would always be
trouble in the house.  But, if the students were bused downtown to the old
historic, nicely maintained or recently renovated theater, they behaved
well and we had almost no troubles.

Half the joy of live "arts" is in the 'going out' part of the equation.
This is especially true today, when you can see something any time you want
on You Tube or wherever.  I would recommend that your school thinks about
making this program into something that allows the students to GO see a
show.

Maia Robbins-Zust
Technical Dir
Williams College Theater