[SML] designer responsibility, was Newspaper Scenic Treatment

Paul Guncheon pguncheon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 02:10:02 UTC 2015

I kinda started this little tempest in response to this:

<<I'm pretty sure Lowe's sells the stuff pre-mixed in 5 gal. buckets, but
that's a purchase my designer usually makes.>>

The original poster clarified his statement with this opening line:

<<My designer is a colleague...>>

I would not have reacted if the statement had read:

<< but that's a purchase my colleague usually makes.>>

I have no objection to doing occasional scut work as a designer to
make things easier on everyone. The grid knows things are tough
enough... especially with one of my more demanding designs. However,
the original post seems to imply that "picking up stuff at Lowe's" is
part and parcel the designer's responsibilities at this particular
venue. I simply wanted to point out that I do not think that this is
part of a designer's normal duties.

It can certainly be part of a colleague's.

Laters,

Paul 1