[SML] Prop Weapon Question - Legality

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 04:51:08 UTC 2015

Recently learned that a "gravity knife" is illegal in NYC. If it can be opened one handed, it's not permitted. I know a lot of stagehands who carry the kind that have removable razor blades so if they forget about it when they get to TSA, they just have to throw away the blade and can keep the knife body.

Gun laws are local and capricious. Ask your local police what they consider to be illegal. LEOs like having "I'm trying to be a good citizen so I'm asking up front." conversations.

Kristi R-C

I did a little digging, if you live in the NYC area, you do need a
special license for some theatrical weapons, the following link might be
informative...

http://www.props.eric-hart.com/features/nyc-theatrical-weapons-permit/

Stuart