[SML] Fwd: refill inks for plotters

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Fri Jan 9 02:46:40 UTC 2015

    I've tried the refill thing for ink jet printers at home. Quality of
the inks is erratic, some of them clogging and giving all sorts of
hassles, others quite good.  Also, it seems that the inks in the refill
kits are a lot more reliable if the printer is getting lots of use in a
more commercial enviroment.   My home use, where the printer will sit
for weeks between print jobs, had ink dryout and clogging issues.

    And yes, you will get the ink all over your hands, the counter, and
sink when you refill.  Converting the cartridge seems to include things
like drilling holes and resealing them after, and it's easy to under and
overfill.  I suggest getting a tray or some such, line the bottom with
lots of absorbent paper to catch spills, and have a sink handy.  Wear
some gloves and don't wear a nice shirt, just in case.

   ON a semi-related note.  Has anyone tried one of those aftermarket
large ink tank kits?   The ones where you have a set of tubes that go
from the print head to a rack with large bottles of ink that you buy in
pint, quart and gallon sizes.  One web site said that if you got the
gallon of black ink and the quart bottles of the colors, it would be a
lifetime (of the printer) supply of ink, and the printer would wear out
about the same time the ink ran out.

    The idea of buying one of these kits and never having to worry about
replacing ink cartridges for a few years does have it's appeal.    But
nobody I know has actually done this, I don't like being an early
adopter, as sometimes one gets stuck with junk.

   --Dale