[SML] Remotely actuated floor locks

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 03:55:03 UTC 2015

> Locks like this?  http://www.destaco.com/pneumatic-straight-line-clamps.html
 -Will  Leonard

I had come across those DeStaco pneumatic clamps before, but they are not rated for any side load. so I was concerned about using (abusing?) them this way.  Here are some manual floor locks, which were obviously designed to handle a greater side load like any platform leg would experience.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#foot-locks/=vedrxb

 I was considering modifying one of those by connecting an air cylinder to the actuator you press down on to extend the lock. But, some of them seem to make use of a separate lever to release the toggle.  It is not clear if you can retract the lock by simply pulling up on the same lever.

Here is a bit of ASCII art to show what I am now considering. It would make use of a nose-mount air cylinder that is screwed into a machined part.  The machined part would have the threading for the cylinder nose, as well as accepting a flanged bronze bushing sized for the shaft of the air cylinder.  The air cylinder would need to have some extra length to the rod to allow for the passage through the bushing.

   ____
  |    |
  |    |<--Air Cylinder
  |____|