[SML] Motors on UPSs

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:04:36 UTC 2015

This may be slightly off-topic, but I figure some of the automation folks
might have some experience with this.

Has anyone ever put motors on UPS/battery backup?

The project I'm working on has two 8,000 pound motion bases, they each use
6 motors and draw 60 amps per base at 220V 3 phase. Here's a sample
picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/Motion_platform_6_axis.JPG

The bases are being installed in Brazil, and there's a concern about
brownouts frequently halting operation of the bases. Outright power outages
are easy to deal with -- we can use a generator to get the bases into a
safe unloading position.

A UPS would smooth out the power and prevent 30 second brownouts from
stopping the ride. But I've only ever used UPSs on electronics, I don't
know how suitable standard IT-bases UPSs are for motors.

I'm also looking a little into flywheels, but those seem fairly exotic...

Any advice?

Thanks,
Michael S.

--