[SML] Motors on UPSs

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:10:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM, bruce--- via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Look at online, double-conversion UPS if this is a true concern.
> Essentially a giant rack of battery chargers, a room full of batteries, and
> Sine-wave Inverters.  The load is ALWAYS on battery power, essentially.
> No, you can't buy it off the shelf at Best Buy, but yes, they are/can be
> engineered for motor loads.

I do have a quality 12kVA online, double-conversion UPS supporting most of
the electronics and sensitive A/V equipment. I know on paper a large enough
UPS will, theoretically, support motors. My concern is the thrashing that
these motors will do to the batteries. Many motor applications will be more
or less constant after they're spun up. These motion bases draw lots of
power when going up, and (as I understand it) actually back feed power
(into an array of large capacitors) when going down.

I had someone suggest off-line UPSs (normally the cheapest), as they would
presumably be capable of handling the sudden power surges that happens when
off-line UPSs kick in.

Michael S.