[SML] Motors on UPSs

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 00:05:20 UTC 2015

Why can't a few dozen 100ton hydraulic rams work, with fast-acting
battery-driven electric valves that open/close in nanoseconds? [Think of
the fast-acting valves for the fountains in front of the Bellagio hotel in
Las Vegas]
/s/ Richard
_________

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Michael Sauder via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM, bruce--- via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>

>> Look at online, double-conversion UPS if this is a true concern.
>> Essentially a giant rack of battery chargers, a room full of batteries,
>> and
>> Sine-wave Inverters.  The load is ALWAYS on battery power, essentially.
>> No, you can't buy it off the shelf at Best Buy, but yes, they are/can be
>> engineered for motor loads.
>>

> I do have a quality 12kVA online, double-conversion UPS supporting most of
> the electronics and sensitive A/V equipment. I know on paper a large enough
> UPS will, theoretically, support motors. My concern is the thrashing that
> these motors will do to the batteries. Many motor applications will be more
> or less constant after they're spun up. These motion bases draw lots of
> power when going up, and (as I understand it) actually back feed power
> (into an array of large capacitors) when going down.
>
> I had someone suggest off-line UPSs (normally the cheapest), as they would
> presumably be capable of handling the sudden power surges that happens when
> off-line UPSs kick in.
>
> Michael S.

/s/ Richard
_________