[SML] Motors on UPSs

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Fri Jan 16 05:22:10 UTC 2015

Probably too late at this stage in the design, but if you used hydraulic
cylinders instead of electric motors, you could have the brute power
stored in hydraulic accumulators. Then all you need to put on the UPS is
the control stuff, which would be COTS, instead of some mongo UPS you
have to create.   Lot of amusement park rides use hydraulic accumulators
so they don't need huge pumps to satisfy momentary peak demands of the
ride, just a smaller pump that runs steadily all day long.

Hmmm...  One large UPS system I saw described in a magazine one time had
a motor/generator set with a big flywheel and a pneumatic motor.  The
flywheel smooths out the energy and provides the couple of seconds of
carryover.   The pneumatic motor is hooked into a large bank of
compressed air tanks, and the control system opens up the air valve as
needed.  The compressed air kept the data-center online long enough for
the backup generator to start up and settle out.  A separate air
compressor recharges the air bank when the power comes back.   No idea
who makes it.

   Good luck with the job.

   --Dale